Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Summer 2013 Book Review

-->I did a lot of book listening this summer (my car has bluetooth, so that helps a ton!) and only read 3 paperback books.  Need to work on that!  Any great book suggestions? 

On to the my recommendations -

The Witch’s Daughter by Paula Brackston, 3 stars
This was an okay book.  The book wasn't really about magic and witches but more about a witch hunt that had lasted hundreds of years.  I prefer to read more about magic and the history of it.
I did like the author's writing style and will probably check out her other books.

I, Iago by Nicole Galland, 2 stars
This started out as an interesting book.  Then dragged on and on and on and bang done! 

The Cuckoo’s Calling by Robert Galbraith, 3 stars
This was an okay book. The main character Cormoran Strike was interesting and fun to follow. The story was okay, but there was something missing, something not developed. It was a better adult book than Rowling's other adult book (Casual Vacancy) but not as entertaining as the Harry Potter books.

Wool Omnibus (#1-5) by Hugh Howey, 3 stars
This was a recommendation from a friend because it was suppose to have "knitting" undertones. Not really! I think there was one paragraph about knitting.
However, it is an interesting series about the future and what happens to the world. It is a little depressing with lot of death, so I am not sure I would recommend this book. I am going to continue with the series, hoping to get answers many questions raised in the book.

Shift Omnibus (#6-8) by Hugh Howey, 3 stars
This was an okay book. It was difficult to get into at the beginning and relate to the characters. Towards the end, things started to make sense and tie back into Wool. I am looking forward to the next installment - Dust, to see how everything works out.

The Orphan Master’s Son by Adam Johnson, 2 stars
A very strange book.  I really don't know what was real and what was "fiction" in this book.  If you like reading about North Korea, then this is book for you!

Tumbleweeds by Leila Meacham, 3 stars
This was an okay book. Frustrating and unbelievable at times, but a fun, easy read. I did like her book Roses much better than this one, so check that one out and maybe skip this one.

Paris: The Novel by Edward Rutherfurd, 4 stars
I really enjoyed this book and following generations of families through the building of Paris. If you have been to Paris and want to relive your time there, definitely check out this book.

Let’s Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris, 4 stars
I love David Sedaris and reading about his crazy childhood and life as a crazy adult.  I am a closet crazy too!  It is best to get this book as an audiobook with David Sedaris as the narrator. He is hilarious and I laughed out loud many times! 

What books did you read this summer??
Enjoy!
ELH

No comments:

Post a Comment