Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Summer book review

I am a little behind the times....just found out about www.goodreads.com
I will have to create an account and post my reviews there.
Since I started tracking my reading during the summer of 2004, I have read and listened to 288 books!
This summer was a little lite on the reading, mainly because some of the books I started were not that great, so it was hard to read more than a few pages a day. I usually read during lunch, but the last few months have been doing internet "research" during that time. And then add that I get 4 magazines a month (great Christmas present) - Bon Appetit, Real Simple, House Beautiful, and Better Homes and Gardens.

I did read 4 books and listened to 3 others.

Honolulu by Alan Brennert - I got this book for cheap at The Borders closing. I thought it would remind me of our trip to Hawaii. Not so much. It was a book about a Korean girl who becomes a picture bride and moves to Honolulu. Her life is not prefect and fill of adventure. It was a good read, but not a must read. Too many other great books! Skip-it!

A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan
- 2011 Pulitzer Prize winner. This book is a flash back into the lives of a group of friends and their adventures through life and growing up. It was a good book to listen to, but another PP book that could be passed up. Skip-it!

Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness - Part 1 of the All Souls Trilogy. Love it!
A book about witches, vampires, and demons with a history and love story. The only bad part it is that the other 2 books haven't been written! I found this review on Amazon "The only trouble is, when you reach the end you will throw the book across the room and yell because the sequel is not already in your hot little hands. So then you'll be forced to read it again!" I was listening to this book while running and of course it finished and I still had 45mins left in the run, so I did start it again! Highly Highly Recommend this book!

The Calhoun Women (Catherine, Amanda, and Lilah) by Nora Roberts - This book is a series of three stories about sisters and their famous house and a hunt for a missing emerald necklace. Each story is a whirl-wind love story. Great fast beach read. Recommended.
Also note that there is another book about the last sister (Suzanne) and a sister-in-law (Megan). I'll probably read this soon!

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowlings - reread this before the last movie. It was bittersweet, but I was glad I read it. Great book. Great movie. Great series! PotterMore here I come....

Arrowsmith by Lewis Sinclair - 1926 Pulitzer Prize winner. This was a book about Martin Arrowsmith a med-student and his life through school, falling in love, having a medical and research career. This book had a beginning, middle, and end! As PP books go, it was a good book and if you are looking for something different this is a good read.

Dracula by Bram Stoker - After listening to The Historian, I wanted to learn more/read Dracula. If you like vampires and history, this is a great book! Recommend!

Right now I am working on The Paris Wife, Alison Wonderland, and Fly Away Home. Next - I am going to start the Hunger Games Trilogy.
What have you been reading? Any suggestions??

Enjoy!
ELH


No comments:

Post a Comment