Friday, June 11, 2010

Chile Brownies

I like to bake. One day I would like to open a bakery. I even have the name already picked out - Favorite Choice! I'll tell you the story behind the name later....


Last fall at work, there was a chili and brownie cook off - perfect!I love to cook chili and brownies, but I don't eat red meat or pork, so I knew my turkey chili wouldn't win, so I decided to make NM chile brownies!
In case you didn't know, red and green chile are a staple to any New Mexican's diet.
You can get green chile cheeseburgers at McDonald's, Wendy's, Sonic etc. The official answer to the question - Red or Green? is Christmas!
I prefer green over red, mainly because red chile is usually cooked in a pork broth or has some pork in it.

My brownies won for Most Original Ingredient! and now I am going to share the secret recipe...

NM Chile Brownies -
Find your favorite brownie recipe - homemade or out of a box.
Diced frozen NM green chile - defrosted
Dry crushed NM red chile


Follow the recipe as directed with a few modifications -
Usually the recipe calls for water, replace the water with "green chile" water from the defrosted green chile.
Add 1 tablespoon of the defrosted green chiles to the batter.
Add 1 tablespoon of red chile to the batter.

Continue to follow the directions for making your favorite brownies and once you have the brownies in the pan, sprinkle the dry crushed red chile on top for decorations.
Bake as the recipe suggests and enjoy!

I would definitely have an extra glass of milk when enjoying these brownies!
-Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment