Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sick Kitty

Artichoke (AKA - Chokie or Arti) is my 4year old adventurous tailed cat! (Gus - is my other 9 year old Manx)


Arti likes to get into things - she likes to drink the shower water; she dips her paws in the water bowl after using the litter box - sanitary reasons??; she loves kitty treats and will do tricks to get one; she loves to eat and play; she likes to eat rubber things - Lance Armstrong bracelets will be eaten in a matter of minutes!; she likes to look outside but runs away when you open the door; she runs to the door when I come home; she is up and at the food bowl as soon as I am up; she likes to sleep under the blankets; she is terrified of the vacuum cleaner; she likes to lick paper especially with fresh ink; and I just love this kitty.


A few weeks ago I came home to a lovely hairball - eww! I have dealt with Gussy's before so I didn't think much of it. Both cats eat Hairball prevention cat food and get the nasty malt-like toothpaste prevention stuff to limit the amount of hairballs I have to clean up. I knew it was Arti's hairball because there was a rubber band in the hairball, I mentioned she likes to eat rubber stuff?!

I cleaned it up and didn't think much about it.

I guess the hairball and some other toxin (the Vet thinks she licked something bad or ate something unsettling) cause Arti to get sick. She was vomiting clear liquids and not eating for a few days.

I took her to the vet and they kept her overnight (I did miss my kitty, but Gussy had a ball being an only-child for the night!). She got IV fluids (she is sporting cute shaved arms - the latest in Kitty Fashion!) and her blood work came back normal - thank-goodness she didn't have serious disease. We have special bland Rx cat food that both cats will be enjoying for the next month!


The apartment has been kitty proofed and she is not allowed to lick the bathtub water and paper!

-Enjoy!

ELT




No comments:

Post a Comment