Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Summer Reading Review


I didn’t read as many books as I usually do during the summer.  I am sort of in a book lull.   Hopefully, Fall reading will be better!

Spring Fever – Mary Kay Andrews – It was an easy read, cute love story.  If you are looking for a something to read on your vacation, this is a good book.  Recommended.

Shadow of Night – Deborah Harkness – The second book in the All Souls Trilogy.  I loved the 1st book.  Magic and history = awesome.  The 1st book ended with a small love story and a cliff hanger.  The 2nd book is a HUGE love story, a lot of history, and magic.  I am not really into love stories, so I didn’t enjoy this book as much as I did the 1st.  It sort of felt like a filler book, so she could have a trilogy series.
Obviously, you can’t skip it, but just remember how great the 1st book was and hope the 3rd book is amazing.

A Summer Affair – Elin Hilderbrand – She writes great easy beach reads with characters that you begin to love and want to see them succeed.  Recommended.

Her Fearfully Symmetry – Audrey Niffenegger – An interesting book about the deep relationship twins have with each other.  One of the main characters is ghost and her presence has an everlasting effect on everyone she interacts with.  This was a good book and I enjoyed reading it.  Recommended!

Lone Wolf – Jodi Picoult – I just keep reading all her books, hoping that one will be as great as My Sister’s Keeper was.  I keep being disappointed.  Skip it.

The Enchantress – Michael Scott – This was the last book in the Immortal Life of Nicholas Flamel.  I felt like the author was trying to shock the audience by adding tons of twists and turns.  It was annoying.  Not the best book of the series, but if you started the series, you need to finish it!

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks – Rebecca Skloot – Have you heard of the immortal cells called HeLa?  They are cancer cell taken from Henrietta Lacks back in the 1950’s and have biomedical researchers study and cure diseases.  This book recounts the history of Henrietta and her family and their struggles in life.  It was a very interesting book and I would recommend reading it if you like non-fiction books that read like fiction.

Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand – Helen Simonson – A random book about and Englishman and his daily life in the English countryside.  His son is a pill and he has to make the best of dealing with him and cultural differences between himself and his love interest.  Just a strange book.  Skip it.

On an exciting note, I meet Erin Morgenstern, author of The Night Circus at a local book festival!  Read this book!!

Enjoy!
-ELH
  

No comments:

Post a Comment