Monday, July 9, 2012

My left foot

This is what I have been doing daily for the last few months!

My left foot has Morton's Neuroma between my 2nd and 3rd toes and 3rd and 4th toes.  From all the stuff I have read and talked to my Drs about, this was something that developed over time and not fully blamed on my marathon training! 
It is also something will not heal itself or go away without treatment. 

I tried the cortisone shot and it sort of helped and I scheduled another fluid injection, but talking with my Dr, the fluid injection would not be helpful and the best course of action would be surgery. 

I am not terrified of surgery, I am/was scared of the downtime and disappointing loved ones.  2012 has been rough/challenging on my body and emotionally draining.  I am tired of the battle.  The news of the surgery was difficult to hear and I did shed some tears at home, at work, and even in the Drs. office.  Rationally, I know it is silly to get so upset, but I couldn't help it. 

In March I convinced my sister-in-law to run her first half marathon with me in October.  It is also the 2nd race in the 26.2 challenge for me = extra medal and shirt!
I also signed up for the Detroit International half marathon where you run to and from Windsor Canada along the bridge and the tunnel above and under the Detroit River.  Awesome!  I was also hoping to see a Red Wings game at The Joe! 
Lastly, the week of the surgery diagnosis I signed up to run the Annapolis 10miler with one of my besties.

I know they won't be mad at me because I can't run, but I was still worried about hurting their feelings and just felt awful. I have fallen in love with running and really can't imagine not being able to run.
My sister-in-law and bestie have been super supportive.  I am going to be the best cheerleader for them!!

My foot now hurts ALL the time.  I have even noticed that when standing I shift my weight from the left to the right to take the pressure off of it.  Not good.

The surgery is July 26th.  It is an outpatient procedure, so I will be home that day.  One of the neuromas will be "excised" and the other will be "released."  The Dr. wants me walking the same day and he says the recovery is 4-6weeks!  I guess it is time to dust the cob webs off my bike!

My mom is coming a few days after to help take care of me.  Both of our cars are manual transmission, so I am going to be housebound.  It will be nice to be driven around!  Call me "Driving Miss E."  And my in-laws, nephews, and niece said they would bring me food and play our Xbox! 

Another plus side is that we got Apple TV for the bedroom, so I won't be stuck on couch.

Fun times!

No comments:

Post a Comment