Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Fall 2013 book review

I've been a little late with this....
And having a baby doesn't make reading lots of books possible.  Half a dozen seems reasonable!


Inferno by Dan Brown, 3 stars
A very nice Dan Brown book with wonderful descriptions of Florence, Italy. I enjoyed this book and think it is a nice escape read.  It did talk a lot about biology and biomedical topics, so it would be great for anyone interested in those topics.

Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card, 4 stars
I was hesitant to read this because I didn't want to have to read the complete series (yes, I'm a little OCD.) This was a great book. It had a nice ending that didn't make me feel like I had to read the other books. But, because I liked the book, I am planning on reading the rest of quintet. I would recommend this book to any one interested in science fiction or enjoy YA books like Hunger Games and Divergent.

Beautiful Day by Elin Hilderbrand, 3 stars
Not her best book, but it was a nice easy read while nursing my newborn!

Dust #9 by Hugh Howey, 3 stars
This was a nice way to wrap up the series. Lots of things were answered, especially how tall/high each level is! I wondered why it would take days to go up and down the silo. The author also left some things for you to ponder and imagine on your own.

Allegiant by Veronica Roth, 2 stars
Not a great book. You need to read it to finish the series, but if this was the first book, I would have skipped it. Again, I felt like the author was rushed to write this and the story was not developed. It was repetitive. On the positive side the epilogue was fantastic. Wonderful character building and brought the series to a nice ending.  Recommendation - speed read the first ~450 pages, then enjoy the last ~100pgs.

Revenge Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger, 3 stars
I took this book with me to the hospital.  It was a nice easy read and relatable since Andy has a baby in the book.  It was fun to reconnect with the characters 10years later, especially since we are the same age and going through similar life events. Not a must read sequel book, but an easy, fun read for a vacation.

I am reading We Are Water by Wally Lamb, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, and Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple.  This last book is hilarious!

What are you reading?  Any recommendations?
Enjoy!
ELH

No comments:

Post a Comment