Thursday, May 3, 2012

Bye Bye Lexus

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 at 6:20am, the Lexus left us.

We were in a car accident.  It was surreal.  It was the first major car accident for both of us.  Fortunately, everyone walked away from the accident, but it doesn’t look like the Lexus survived.  The tow truck guy said in his “non-professional” opinion that they will most likely total it.  Sad :(
We were heading northbound and were hit on the driver side near the wheel and then again near the trunk.   Thank goodness that they didn't hit the door!  G thinks we were going the speed limit.  According to the 3 witnesses we spoke to, 4 cars sat at the westbound light for 2 cycles without getting a green light, so one driver decided to run the light.  He didn’t see us and slammed into us probably going 20-30mph.  He hit us so hard that his car spun around and hit the tail of our car. 
The trunk wouldn't shut after we got some stuff out of it.

G did have the forethought to pull the emergency brake and leaned toward the right.  We skidded forward and to the right, stopping in the right most lane. I am surprised that none of the airbags deployed.

I remember seeing a grey Volvo pulling into the nearby gas station and two guys running towards our car asking if we were okay.  By that time I was out of the car and calling 911.  I was able to give the operator our location, but then she starting asking complex questions and I just couldn’t answer.  I think I was in shock.  I passed my phone off to one of the witnesses and went to check on G and get him to get out of the car. 

Once I got my phone back I tried calling G’s family to tell them we were in an accident and needed someone to come get us.  Again, I had to pass my phone off to G because the questions were getting too complex and I just couldn't answer.  We were on our way to meet G’s family for traditional birthday morning donuts, so they were awake, nearby, and came to our rescue.  Wonderful family!

My left leg smashed into the center console and I have a nice cut and bruise.  It doesn’t look to bad, but it really hurts!  I also have some bruises and soreness where the seatbelt pulled me back.  I am thankful for the seatbelt, but ouch my body hurts.  “I feel like I was hit my a truck sedan!”
My leg a few hrs after the accident.
Day later - it doesn't look bad, but it really really hurts to touch it!
Besides the bruises (new ones popping up daily), I was emotionally shaken up and decided not to go to work that day.  It was a good decision.  I slept for a few hours and decompressed.  Driving to work the next day was a little bit scary.  I have had a few panic moments when I see another car coming towards me.  Hopefully, that will subside soon.

We are starting the process of dealing with the insurance companies.  The other driver is officially at fault!  We were a tad worried about this, since George overheard the other passenger saying that the light had turned green.  We had a green light.  They had a red light and hit us.

G still has his pick-up truck (he comes from a family where owning a house = owning a truck and a dog) so we don't need a rental car and are not in a hurry to find a new car.  Before we had talked about selling the Lexus and Truck and getting him an FJ.  We have talked about selling my car and buying an Outback.  Or I could go back to my roots and get a Mercedes (my first car was a 1980 Mercedes Benz 450SEL, we called it The Boat)!  

I do want to thank the 3 gentlemen witnesses.  They all gave me their contact information if we need to dispute that the accident was not our fault.  And they were wonderful with helping me and calling the authorities.  One of the gentlemen was on his way to his first day of work at a new job.  I hope he had a wonderful day and has a successful career!  Thank-you all.

Needless to say, my workout plan for this week and starting May Abs has been put on hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment