Saturday, January 5, 2013

Fall 2012 book review


The fall has been busy and I haven’t really been interested in reading.  Nothing has grabbed me.  One of my New Year’s resolutions is to finish 3 books I have started and pushed aside – Murder in Marais by Cara Black, Death Comes to Pemberly by PD James, and A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty by Joshilyn Jackson.  Also, I started reviewing books on Goodreads, so some of the reviews are repeats and I am going to include the ratings (x out of 5 stars.)

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
This book is quite popular and I would say the first 75% was awesome and I couldn’t put it down.  The ending was disappointing, to say the least.  It felt like the author rushed to finish the story to meet a deadline, but it does leave room for future stories.
3 stars

Winter of the World - #2 in the Century Trilogy by Ken Follett
From Goodreads, “Winter of the World picks up right where the first book left off, as its five interrelated families—American, German, Russian, English, Welsh—enter a time of enormous social, political, and economic turmoil, beginning with the rise of the Third Reich, through the Spanish Civil War and the great dramas of World War II, up to the explosions of the American and Soviet atomic bombs.”
The second book focuses on the children who are now adults and starting their own lives and families.  It was a great 2nd book in this historical fiction trilogy.  I would recommend checking out this series.
3 stars

Merry Christmas Alex Cross by James Patterson
This was a Christmas present from G.  We have a 7 year tradition of him sending me an Alex Cross book, so I would have something to open at my parents house on Christmas morning.  The past 3 years we have both been at my parents house and he still sends the book!  Love it!
It was great to read that Alex and his family are doing well! This was a very quick read.  I started it on a 3hr flight and had 80 pages left when we landed!  It is a must read if you keep up with Alex Cross.
3 stars

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Guest review from a Bestie – “This was a little creepier and more fantastic than I generally like my YA books. The first half was gripping. The second half was just okay. Not sure if I'll continue with the series.”  My sentiments exactly!  I did like the use of old photographs to create an interesting story.  If you do read it, get the paper copy!
3 stars

The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling
I knew this book had adult content and that is no joke!  If they made it into a movie it would be R – death, teenage sex, rape, and more death.  If you are looking for a depressing book, then this is a great book!  Otherwise, skip it!
2 stars

Elsewhere by Richard Russo
I listened to this book, narrated by Russo.  I really like all of his other books, so it was fun and interesting to hear him talk about his life.  It was a very nice tribute to his mother and helps set the scenes for some of his popular books.  If you haven’t checked out any Russo books, then I would recommend you do.  Empire Falls is a good start, then check out this book.
4 stars

What books have you been reading?  Any recommendations?
Enjoy!
ELH 

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy your book reviews! I'm reading parenting books at the moment but I'll share good relevant ones when I have them. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete