Monday, April 2, 2012

Winter book reviews

Winter book reading in the H house = Jan 1 - March 31st.

It looks like this “season” of book reading was full of easy, beach reads! I guess that happens when your hubby is out of town 90% of the time!

The Marriage Plot – Jeffery Eugenides – I loved Middlesex (great book, check it out if you haven’t read it), so I was looking forward to this newest book by Eugenides. The story is boring and predictable and the main character keeps making the wrong choices - annoying. Skip it!

Distant Shores – Kristin Hannah – I got this book from my mom and I am sure she just picked if off of Amazon’s recommendation list. It was good, fast read. Great for the beach. The main character’s have been married for years and the wife has sacrificed her happiness for her husband's career. The book talks about how the wife feels, what needs to change, how the husband feels, and his lack of noticing her sacrifices.

The Castaways – Elin HildenbrandAnother great beach read. Set in Nantucket, it explores the dynamics of 3 married couples and their relationship with each other. I really like this author, if you are looking for an easy beach read.

Mini Shopaholic – Sophie Kinsella – Oh Becky, what have you gotten yourself into now?! This is the latest installment of the Shopaholic series, and you know me, once I have started a series I am in it for the long haul. The book is a train wreck of poor decisions, so if you haven’t read any in the series, just skip it. If you have kept up with the books, then this is pretty good, frustrating at times, and fun at others, so go ahead and enjoy it!

Twenties Girl – Sophie Kinsella – I do like this author for easy reading and there usually isn’t a wait for the kindle version of her books at my library! This is a new character, still set in London, who has some funny adventures when her great aunt ghost’s visits her to settle some unfinished business. It was light and charming, so I would recommend reading it.

Roses – Leile Meacham – If you loved Gone With the Wind and The Thorn Birds, then you will love this book. It is set in the cotton fields of Texas and has multiple layers of family devotion, love, and business that effect generations. I highly recommend that you read this book!!

The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party (#12) – Alexander McCall Smith – 12th in the series…..like the Shopaholic review, it is good if you are into the series, otherwise skip it.

The Charming Quirks of Others: SPC #7 – Alexander McCall Smith – see above!

Against Medical Advice – James Patterson – One of my goals for 2012 was to finally get my lazy butt to the library (there is one a few blocks from our house and the parking lot is always full) and get a library card! It was easy! Except for the part where the e-books would not download to my kindle. I have a Gen 2, so you have to connect the kindle up to the computer and drag the book to special kindle folder. Thanks internet for the info! Anyway….. this was one of the James Patterson books on my reading list and since it is a few years old there was no waiting list! It is about a child’s struggle with Tourettes. It was ok. Skip it unless you really want to learn more about Tourettes!

Beach House – James Patterson – an older book of his and I don’t know how I have missed it. It had a John Grisham lawyer feel to it and I enjoyed it. Recommended!

Private – James Patterson – did I mention how much I love the library?!? This is the start of a new character series featuring Jack Morgan and his investigation business. Typical page turning mystery book! Recommended!

Sing Me Home – Jodi Picoult – One of her latest books. I am not sure why I keep reading her…. This was a strange book about infertility, marriage, religion, sexual preference, and then returns to infertility. If you like Picoult books, then read it. It is a good story. If you haven’t read her books, then skip it and go read My Sister’s Keeper.

The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, Book 1 – Michael Scott – I’ll admit that I didn’t know who Nicholas Flamel was until the Harry Potter books came out. This is book 1 of 6 with a similar target audience as Harry Potter. I like books about magic and set in modern day. I am on the 3rd book now and enjoying the series. So if you miss Harry Potter, can’t wait for the next book in the All Souls Trilogy, and sped through the Hunger Games, you will enjoy this series! Highly recommend!!

The Magician: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, Book 2 – Michael Scott – see above!

Glass Castle – Jeannette Walls – Strange, Strange, Strange... 1st – I love a memoir. David Sedaris’ books are some of my favorite. I was hoping this book would follow in the humor of the silly things we did as kids and stuff your parents did…. not so much. 2nd – this was recommended to me by my FIL, who got it from my MIL, who got it from her nephew – a famous actor. Famous actor nephew (we went to his wedding in 2010 and were a little star struck – I meet Andy Samberg – love!) had a dad who had a second family on the side. So needless to say, he didn’t have the best relationship with his dad growing up and today they don’t speak. As I was reading the book, I kept thinking about why did my FIL give this book to me, why did famous actor nephew give it to them in the first place? The book is a very sad story about her childhood with parents that were vagabonds and don’t really care about the safety and well-being of their 4 children. It was easy to read, but the topic was difficult and full of heart break. I would recommend skipping this book, unless you really want to be depressed.

What have you been reading? Any recommendations?
Enjoy!
ELH

No comments:

Post a Comment